shipping

Coulter Farms

29 Jun, 2017 09:33 PM

I want my customers to be able to choose between having their purchase shipped, or meeting at a pickup point, when they order online. I entered shipping weights for the products I am willing to ship, but now customers who want to pickup can't get a total without shipping charges.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Mike on 30 Jun, 2017 02:36 PM

Hi Kinley,

There are a couple ways to address this.

Within your ecommerce departments, (Sell > Manage > Departments and then Edit) there is a checkbox near the bottom of the edit screen that says
    "Use shipping rules for items in this department? Note: orders with items in both shipping and no-shipping departments will apply shipping rules."
    What people have done in the past is they only ship canned goods, not produce, so they'll only set their canned goods department for shipping.

It all depends on what you're shipping. I'm guessing you aren't shipping the meat, ice cream, etc. but who knows. You might be!

If so, I would create a brand new department called Home Delivery and put all the items you want to ship in there. Then set that department as the only one that calculates shipping.

Another option is to do shipping by creating a pickup location called "Ship to Home" or something and then set the Shipping (Sell > Configure > Shipping) option called Pickup Handling Fee. You would leave that at $0 for every location but set it to some flat rate that would cover your costs for the "Ship to Home" Pickup Location. The downside of that is it does not calculate by weight, but people can shop from every department.

Another option, which isn't the best but would allow you to keep your by-weight shipping calculating, is to have it be for everyone like before but you can also communicate on the View Cart and Checkout Screens that someone can enter a Coupon for free shipping if they are picking up. But then that puts the burden on the customer to remember to do that and also doesn't stop a shipping person from using the coupon too.

I think the first option is going to be the best and most sure way. You won't have to re-create all the items, you'll just have to populate them into the Home Delivery department with some inventory.

Mike

2. Mike closed this discussion on 30 Jun, 2017 02:36 PM.

3. kinley coulter re-opened this discussion on 30 Jun, 2017 03:01 PM

4. 2 Posted by kinley coulter on 30 Jun, 2017 03:01 PM

OK, I'll play around with it, and see what happens :).

----- Original Message -----

5. Mike closed this discussion on 30 Jun, 2017 03:35 PM.

6. kinley coulter re-opened this discussion on 05 Jul, 2017 06:59 PM

7. 3 Posted by kinley coulter on 05 Jul, 2017 06:59 PM

I'm intending to add a new department for people who want stuff shipped (primarily cheese) to order from. I still want to leave the cheese available for people to pre-order for market, etc. Is there an easy way to duplicate my cheese department, or do I have to re-enter everything?
    Thanks,
    Rebecca

8. Support Staff 4 Posted by daniel on 05 Jul, 2017 07:27 PM

Hi there Rebecca,

You do not have to re-enter the items but you do have to add them to the new department manually. Navigate Sell-->Manage-->Items-->click Edit Item-->at the bottom, under Pricing & Inventory add the cheese to the relevant departments.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Daniel
    Farmer Support

9. daniel closed this discussion on 05 Jul, 2017 07:27 PM.

10. kinley coulter re-opened this discussion on 06 Jul, 2017 04:31 PM

11. 5 Posted by kinley coulter on 06 Jul, 2017 04:31 PM

OK, I got my stuff into the new department, and clicked the 'use shipping rules' box for that department, but when I try a test checkout I get an error message that says no shipping options are available. What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks,
    Rebecca

12. Support Staff 6 Posted by daniel on 06 Jul, 2017 09:01 PM

I don't believe that you're doing anything wrong. I added some UPS options to test and those are returning shipping quantities. There's something wrong with the FedEx integration.

We'll take a deeper look into what's going on. In the meantime, can you add some shipping options from another provider. I'd keep the FedEx options there because they could start working again at any time.

We'll get back to you as soon as we figure out what's going on.

Best,

Daniel
    Farmer Support

13. daniel closed this discussion on 06 Jul, 2017 09:01 PM.

14. kinley coulter re-opened this discussion on 06 Jul, 2017 09:44 PM

15. 7 Posted by kinley coulter on 06 Jul, 2017 09:44 PM

Ok, thanks.

16. daniel closed this discussion on 07 Jul, 2017 01:23 PM.

17. daniel re-opened this discussion on 10 Jul, 2017 05:49 PM

18. Support Staff 8 Posted by daniel on 10 Jul, 2017 05:49 PM

Hi there Kinley,

Our lead developer Mike looked into the issue and identified that there is
    indeed something broken with the FedEx shipping, specifically. He'll work
    on correcting the issue. Or, we may have to remove FedEx as a shipping
    option. I hope this hasn't been to disruptive to your business.

Thanks,

Daniel
    Farmer Support

19. 9 Posted by kinley coulter on 10 Jul, 2017 05:58 PM

Thanks for checking. I had set up shipping several days ago, and it seemed to work with FedEx, so I guess this is something new. We intend to do most of our shipping via FedEx, but I assume most of the rates are about the same, so as long as people can get some kind of shipping calculation they can still order. I'll look for another email when you have things figured out.
    Thanks again,
    Rebecca

20. daniel closed this discussion on 10 Jul, 2017 06:31 PM.

21. kinley coulter re-opened this discussion on 20 Jul, 2017 06:18 PM

22. 10 Posted by kinley coulter on 20 Jul, 2017 06:18 PM

Hey Daniel,
    I've been working at setting up a shipping option for some of my products, and have most of what I need figured out. When I first set it up, the Fedex calculator link was working, but now it doesn't seem to. You were going to look into it a little.... any luck? On another topic, is there any flexibility with the format of the order report printout, or the emails that get sent when somebody orders?
    Thanks,
    Rebecca
    www.CoulterFarms.net

23. Support Staff 11 Posted by daniel on 20 Jul, 2017 06:39 PM

Hi there Kinley,

We had a chance to look into the FedEx shipping integration this week. Since the automatic shipping calculators are very similar, we've combined them into one option which is called UPS/FedEx/USPS Shipping Calculator. This is the option I'd recommend you use. Please let me know if you have further questions about this!

On the topic of order reports--what type of flexibility are you looking for? What would you ideally like to see in your report?

The header and signature of the email which is sent as an order confirmation can be customized at Sell-->Configure-->Email Settings.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can do for you!

Best,

Daniel
    Farmer Support

24. daniel closed this discussion on 20 Jul, 2017 06:39 PM.

25. daniel re-opened this discussion on 20 Jul, 2017 07:09 PM

26. Support Staff 12 Posted by daniel on 20 Jul, 2017 07:09 PM

Hi there Kinley,

My apologies, I was mistaken--that shipping calculator has not yet been changed--my coworker Mike corrected me on this. We plan to remove the Fedex option but have not yet done so.

However, you have several options that can work for you if you're shipping with Fedex. You should be aware that with any of these calculators, there will be some margin of error between calculated and actual shipping rate because the calculation is made in the abstract at the time of purchase, not once the package has actually been prepared.

In place of Fedex, I'd recommend that you use the UPS options in the calculator, regardless of whether you're shipping FedEx or UPS. You can also look at the Shipping Weight Multiplier and Flat Rate plus options which may work for you.

I apologize for the confusion--please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Daniel
    Farmer Support

27. 13 Posted by kinley coulter on 20 Jul, 2017 07:49 PM

I really like the idea of one combined shipping calculator.... The customers will be paying before I decide which method to use to ship, and I am the one paying the shipping company; so all I really need is for them to pay an amount that covers me, rather than choosing a who they want it shipped by. Please let me know when you get this working so I can start using it.
    As far as reports, I realize that everybody needs something suited to their operation, and you have to make everybody happy. I actually need less information than the reports and forms provide. The email that comes when I get an order lists the customer's information twice, and a bunch of other stuff; so do the sheets from the "view/print orders" report. The "view order detail" screen only lists it once, but has a bunch of other stuff that prints if I just print that screen. I would love to have something that would just have the customer's information listed once, along with what they ordered. I have different people packing different things for different types of orders, so simpler paperwork is better. Best of all would be if I could edit reports and choose what I want and how to format it. Overall, I can manage to do what I need with what you have..... but you did ask what would be ideal.
    Thanks for your help!
    Rebecca

28. Support Staff 14 Posted by daniel on 20 Jul, 2017 08:56 PM

Hi there Rebecca,

My apologies that I've been addressing my responses to Kinley!

I'll keep you updated on the shipping calculator.

As far as the order reporting, I'll look into the information appearing twice. I believe it's doing so because it normally lists the user information but if the order is being shipped, it pulls the address for that as well. I'll continue to look at this tomorrow and let you know what I learn.

Best,

Daniel
    Farmer Support

29. daniel closed this discussion on 20 Jul, 2017 08:56 PM.

30. kinley coulter re-opened this discussion on 21 Jul, 2017 01:57 PM

31. 15 Posted by kinley coulter on 21 Jul, 2017 01:57 PM

Thanks!

32. daniel closed this discussion on 21 Jul, 2017 02:27 PM.

33. daniel re-opened this discussion on 21 Jul, 2017 06:45 PM

34. Support Staff 16 Posted by daniel on 21 Jul, 2017 06:45 PM

Hi there Rebecca,

So the address appears twice on the order report and email because you could be purchasing the items with an account linked to one address but shipping them elsewhere. There isn't a way to alter how this outputs in the case that the address is the same.

Best,

Daniel

35. 17 Posted by kinley coulter on 21 Jul, 2017 07:11 PM

OK, thanks.

36. daniel closed this discussion on 21 Jul, 2017 07:16 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac