mailchimp issue related to SFC integration?

Emma Holmes

28 Jun, 2013 07:24 PM

Hi SFC,

We've been struggling with members being automatically unsubscribed (against their wishes) from our mailing list. They said the problem was something to do with our connection between SFC and mailchimp. It's the same ~10% of members who keep getting unsubscribed, and they come from a variety of email services (gmail, shaw, telus, etc). Mailchimp sent me the following. What do you think? thnx!

"If there are any third party integrations connected to the account through the API, it is possible for email addresses to be unsubscribed with that integration. I took a look into the email addresses that were sent over and can see that they were indeed unsubscribed by an integration that had access to the account. I was able to see that [email blocked], [email blocked], and [email blocked] were unsubscribed from the list on 06/25/2013 at the same time. I checked the API calls that occurred that day and can see that there were a few unsubscribes that were processed that same day through the API. This would indicate that the integration that was connected was unsubscribing the subscribers from the account. It looks like the integration has been disconnected but what i'd recommend is contacting the developer or support for the integration or application that was being used to find out exactly why these email addresses were unsubscribed with the integration.

I understand how frustrating this can be and would hate to see you leave but if another system better suits your needs the current Mailchimp account can be closed by clicking the username on the left side of the page > click account settings > click the account settings drop down then click close my account. once there the account can be closed by clicking close my account. before doing this however we'd recommend exporting the data from the account. this would include the lists, tempalte and campaigns that are currently in the account.? "

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Simon Huntley on 29 Jun, 2013 06:25 PM

Hi Emma,

First off, and I don't believe this was confirmed before: this was a completely blank mailchimp account, correct?

First off.. I might try creating a completely new mailchimp list and setting up a new sync to connect to that list. See if same problem reoccurs.

If it does, lets look at the specific email addresses that are being unsubscribed and see if we can establish a pattern.

Thanks,
    Simon

2. Simon Huntley closed this discussion on 29 Jun, 2013 06:25 PM.

3. Emma Holmes re-opened this discussion on 04 Jul, 2013 11:06 PM

4. 2 Posted by Emma Holmes on 04 Jul, 2013 11:06 PM

Hi Simon,

We have decided to streamline our email approach and keep everything as
    simple as possible. We want to spend as much of our time as possible
    fishing and working at markets, not figuring out mailing lists.

We would like to do all our e-mailing from SFC, rather than rely on all
    this syncing, etc., which has gotten quite complicated. I'm happy to see
    you have amazon SES. I'm going to be fiddling around figuring out how to
    send attractive looking emails from SFC, organize mailing lists, and figure
    out some sort of regular RSS email. If you have any pre-written
    instructions on this stuff, do you mind sending it my way?

Thanks!
    Emma

5. 3 Posted by qroth on 05 Jul, 2013 01:36 PM

Hi Emma:

Our mailing list too is pretty basic. You can add photos and some basic formatting, but we don't suggest trying to get too fancy.

You can add custom headers and footers to your emails. For more information about how to do that, see this blog post:
    http://www.smallfarmcentral.com/blog/feb/2013/new-default-headers-a...

Otherwise the email editor is a basic text editor. You can play around with different things in that and there is always the option to "send test email and save draft" that will send a copy of the email to your main email address on file.

There's really not much more in the way of documentation to send you as I said, the tool is pretty basic and straightforward. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Q Roth
    Farmer Support

6. qroth closed this discussion on 05 Jul, 2013 01:36 PM.

7. Emma Holmes re-opened this discussion on 05 Jul, 2013 09:37 PM

8. 4 Posted by Emma Holmes on 05 Jul, 2013 09:37 PM

Hi Q,

Is there a way for me to change the "from" name from Emma Holmes to Skipper
    Otto when I send out emails from SFC?

Thanks!
    Emma

9. 5 Posted by qroth on 06 Jul, 2013 01:25 PM

Hi Emma:

There's a couple things you can do.

1) You can just change your name in the control panel from your full name to just Skipper Otto, so emails going out from [email blocked] will have Skipper Otto as the associated name. To change that, go to - Administrate --> Account --> Farmer Users and click edit next to your name.

2) What might be better is if we set up another email account, something like [email blocked] and added that as a user to your account. Then when you go to send an email you would just choose that option from the "send message from" pulldown menu.

Let me know if you'd like to set up that other account and we can make that happen.

Q

10. qroth closed this discussion on 06 Jul, 2013 01:25 PM.

11. Emma Holmes re-opened this discussion on 08 Jul, 2013 05:26 PM

12. 6 Posted by Emma Holmes on 08 Jul, 2013 05:26 PM

Hi Q,

That would be wonderful to have a [email blocked] as a user option for
    sending out messages.

Thank-you!
    Emma

13. 7 Posted by qroth on 08 Jul, 2013 06:15 PM

Emma:

That email account is set up and I set that as a farmer user in the control panel as well. The password for the email account is "Otto246".

If you want, you can set that email to forward to your emma@ account. To do so, log into the new account and go under the settings menu. Scroll to the bottom of the options and there will be a forward to address field. Put your email address there and click "save settings" in the left-hand menu.

Q

14. qroth closed this discussion on 08 Jul, 2013 06:15 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac