Wild Type Ranch- Moving domain to Go Daddy

's Avatar

chelsea.adair

13 Dec, 2018 04:02 PM

Good morning Support!
I am helping Sara Faivre with moving their wildtyperanch.com domain to their Go Daddy account.
They have a new website set up with Go Daddy all ready so we will not need the website hosting.
However, we want to keep the email.
Does this just require you to transfer the MX records with the domain, and then we purchase email hosting with our new provider? Or does their email stop the second we transfer the domain? I want to make sure I understand the steps before anything is done as they don't want to loose any email or loose email capability with this domain.
Please provide the proper steps we need to take.
I'm open to suggestions and if you have any further questions please let me know. Thanks!
Chelsea Adair

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by qroth on 13 Dec, 2018 04:25 PM

Hi Chelsea:

The email is setup through Google Gsuite, so that account can continue to be connected with the new website. That's a grandfathered Gsuite account that is free, so they really shouldn't need to do anything to keep that open.

When you update the nameservers to make the new site go live, you'll just need to set the MX records such that they connect up with Google mail. So you'll need to update the nameservers first and then to the MX records but if you do those at roughly the same time, there should be minimal if any downtime with their emails.

It looks like we do not have the domain registered for them. It appears to be registered through register.com. So if you don't have access to the domain yet, you'll need to contact them, not us about that.

Once you've made the transfer to the new site, please let us know and we'll cancel their hosting account with us.

Any further questions, please let us know.

Q Roth
    Farmer Support

2. qroth closed this discussion on 13 Dec, 2018 04:25 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac