Special Orders (Sell feature) Question

's Avatar

csamanager

18 Apr, 2017 11:50 AM

Hey question - so, we do weekly CSA deliveries and for every CSA delivery we do, we also offer "special orders" for anyone wanting to order "extra" stuff, etc. In the past, I've set up all the ordering dates ahead of time as an option in the shopping cart. Example - choose 10# of ground beef and then chose when you want it delivered from a list of all our delivery dates.

Currently there is no option to do that and it's already starting to be a pain in the ass. For example. People are ordering but emailing me afterwards saying "Well, I dont want it this week but I want it in two weeks, etc." This is going to get VERY messy come summer time. Also - folks order once early on in the season and schedule out orders throughout the year.

Is there any workaround to make an option in "sell" to chose what delivery date you want? I am fearful the current method is going to result in a lot of missed orders if I have to manually make notes about when folks want it.

I need to be able to export a report by delivery date and orders. This is a big part of our business.

Thanks!

1. 1 Posted by daniel on 18 Apr, 2017 02:51 PM

Hi there,

You're correct--the e-commerce software is not really set up for taking orders that will not be fulfilled on a fairly immediate basis. Depending on how many 'add-on' items you offer, you can add them as share types on the Member Assembler side of the software.

Can you give me a more complete picture of what add-ons you offer and how many times per season? Once I know that I can help you come up with a process that will make sense in the software.

Best,

Daniel
    Farmer Support

2. daniel closed this discussion on 18 Apr, 2017 02:51 PM.

3. Stefanie Jaeger, CSA Manager re-opened this discussion on 18 Apr, 2017 03:03 PM

4. 2 Posted by Stefanie Jaeger... on 18 Apr, 2017 03:03 PM

http://bayfieldfoods.org/store/special-orders

Here is what we offer and thi slist gets bigger in the summer

We offer them every week May 24th-October 25th then twice in November and
    once per month Dec-March

This is not something I want to set up in MA as it needs to be separate for
    reports.

5. 3 Posted by daniel on 18 Apr, 2017 04:04 PM

You're correct--with the number of items you have available as add-ons, it wouldn't make sense to offer them through Member Assembler.

Are these items only offered to your CSA members? In that case, you could use the pickup options in e-commerce as delivery dates instead of actual locations. Then, when you go to run your reports, you can run them for a specific "pickup" (say, Week of May 1st) and then for a particular user group (which would be the actual location that member is set to in Member Assembler).

You'd run each of these reports separately. If you run them together, they will default to being sorted by the date that the order came in rather than the actual location.

One limitation of this way of doing things is that your members would have to place separate orders for separate delivery dates. They wouldn't be able to place a single order for 7 items, three of which they want one week, and four another.

I'm also curious, how did you manage these orders under your old system?

Thanks,

Daniel
    Farmer Support

6. daniel closed this discussion on 18 Apr, 2017 04:04 PM.

7. Stefanie Jaeger, CSA Manager re-opened this discussion on 18 Apr, 2017 04:44 PM

8. 4 Posted by Stefanie Jaeger... on 18 Apr, 2017 04:44 PM

They are offered to anyone, you don't have to be a member.

Ok so past operations were as follows

We had Cart66 as our shopping cart so I could custom build any product with
    any option I wanted. It was a blank slate.

When I received orders whether it was for shares or special orders, I
    entered them into our Access database that we used to keep track of
    everything. This was sortable by delivery date so I could generate a report
    of orders by delivery date and still keep everything seperate from CSA
    shares since those were different tables in Access.

Does that help?

9. 5 Posted by daniel on 18 Apr, 2017 06:16 PM

Hey there,

In that case, the idea of using pick-up locations won't work since you'll need this selector for the non-member customers to be able to enter their actual pickup location.

Generally, the software is built with a typical e-commerce scenario in mind--that the customer places their order and would like to receive it as soon as possible. It doesn't have any built in functionality to allow for later date pick-ups/drop-offs.

One other possibility for collecting the information you're looking for is using a combination of the additional notes section of the checkout process and by posting a notice in the Checkout Header field to direct customers to fill out this field if they do not wish to receive their order at the next available pickup.

In order to process and track these orders, you will probably still have to use an external system or database of some kind, as you did previously.

Let me know your thoughts about this solution.

Thanks,

Daniel
    Farmer Support

10. daniel closed this discussion on 18 Apr, 2017 06:16 PM.

11. daniel re-opened this discussion on 18 Apr, 2017 06:19 PM

12. 6 Posted by daniel on 18 Apr, 2017 06:19 PM

Here are a couple of screenshots so you can see what this could look like in your checkout process.

Best,

Daniel

13. 7 Posted by Stefanie Jaeger... on 18 Apr, 2017 11:32 PM

Yeah, I currently have the next delivery date listed in the header so I"ll
    add a note saying if they want a different date, to email me. I'll have to
    create a database for this which isnt' a huge deal, just thought it would
    be a nice feature. Let me know if you guys ever add that :)

Thanks!

14. 8 Posted by daniel on 19 Apr, 2017 01:12 PM

Yes, thank you for the feedback! We definitely appreciate hearing from our customers about how we can improve the software to better suit your needs. I'm passing along this request to our developers.

You could collect this information via email or you could collect it using that 'additional notes' section of the checkout process (which might reduce the total number of emails you get since you'll already be getting an order confirmation containing whatever's entered in that field). Either way, you'll have to create a separate database to manage these.

Please let me know if there are any other questions that come up for you.

Best,

Daniel
    Farmer Support

15. daniel closed this discussion on 19 Apr, 2017 01:12 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac