Photo Gallery

's Avatar

sassafrascreekfarm

23 Jan, 2013 08:04 PM

I'm a new users and have two questions:
1) How many photos can I upload at a time using Advanced Uploader?
2) How can I determine the size of my gallery?

thx Dave

1. 1 Posted by Lauren on 23 Jan, 2013 09:11 PM

Hi Dave,

I hope things are going well as you set up your site. Here are answers to your questions:

Your website plan allows 250 images to be uploaded to your Gallery. The Gallery is where your photos live. If you want to display your Gallery on your site, you have the option to choose which images are visible. You can also make custom slideshows to put your photos in more specific viewing categories. Here are two documents that offer more information on these things:

http://support.smallfarmcentral.com/kb/getting-started-with-website...

http://support.smallfarmcentral.com/kb/small-farm-central/creating-...

In theory there shouldn't be a limit to how many photo you upload at a time, however it is my experience with anything computer related that often when you try to do too much at once, you increase your potential for failure. I suggest doing batches of 10-20 and see how that works out for you.

Let me know if you have any additional questions along the way!

Best,
    -Lauren, Farmer Support

2. Lauren closed this discussion on 23 Jan, 2013 09:11 PM.

3. sassafrascreekfarm re-opened this discussion on 23 Jan, 2013 09:16 PM

4. 2 Posted by sassafrascreekf... on 23 Jan, 2013 09:16 PM

Lauren,

As a newbie, I'm unclear if I need to re-size my photos or if the Adv Uploader does that for me.

I don't want to buy Photoshop nor have the time to learn it!

Thx
    Dave
    David Paulk
    Sassafras Creek Organic Farm
    Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

5. 3 Posted by Lauren on 23 Jan, 2013 09:33 PM

Dave,

You don't need to worry about resizing your photos, the uploader will take care of that for you so that you don't end up with large files that take a long time to load when people are looking at your site. There is some more information about the size of your photos in the article I sent you. I have copied the section below:

"Once you have imported all of your images into the upload box, click the Prepare for Upload button. This tool resizes the images to an appropriate size for displaying on your website. Photos taken with digital cameras are of very high, which is great for enlarging photos or printing photos out to display them. However, these high quality photos are not suited for the Internet."

"High quality images have a lot of little pixels that make up the whole image. The more pixels an image has, the larger the image file will be. The larger the image file is, the longer it takes for the image to load. Loading these large images can slow down your website. Sometimes the image will not load at all and there will be a blank box in place of your image. Photos displayed on the internet can have smaller in file sizes, since they don't need to have as many pixels as an image you would print out and display on your wall. Again, the Advanced Uploader will resize the image appropriately for your website."

"Once the images have been prepared, you’ll notice that the Prepare for Upload button has changed to a button just saying Upload. Click this new button to upload your newly resized images. Once uploading is finished, you will be redirected into the Gallery Manager. This is where you will can make further adjustments to your photos."

-Lauren, Farmer Support

6. Lauren closed this discussion on 23 Jan, 2013 09:33 PM.

7. sassafrascreekfarm re-opened this discussion on 23 Jan, 2013 09:40 PM

8. 4 Posted by sassafrascreekf... on 23 Jan, 2013 09:40 PM

Lauren,

I have been using this tool, works well enough. But all my photos are large size. So how will I know if the photos are still too large after I've uploaded them?

And if they are too still to large, how do I resize them?

Thx
    David Paulk
    Sassafras Creek Organic Farm
    Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

9. 5 Posted by Lauren on 24 Jan, 2013 02:51 PM

David,

I'm glad the uploader is working for you. You really don't have to worry about the size of your images when you upload them. Perhaps I was being a little unclear before, so let me clarify. Images can be considered "large" in two ways

1. Size of the file
    2. Actual size of the image

Images with a large file size mean that there has been a lot of information stored about that image. Large file sizes are necessary for images that need to be printed, so that you can resize the image without it becoming a blurry print. Because these images are appearing on your website, they don't need to be large files, so the image uploader make the file size smaller so that your images don't take a long time to appear on the website.

However, you also don't have to worry about the physical size of your image either. On the Gallery Page and in the Slideshows your images are sized consistently. You can check both of these pages out on your website. It looks like you have some nice sized and clear images up there right now.

Also, if you insert one of your images into a page you create and you find that it is too large, you can always resize it in the Rich Text Editor. It doesn't look like you have gotten a chance to create any Farmer Defined Pages yet, so here are some helpful articles about how to go about doing so:

Using a Rich Text Editor (this goes over how to resize photos when creating content): http://support.smallfarmcentral.com/kb/getting-started-with-website...

Creating a Farmer Defined Page: http://support.smallfarmcentral.com/kb/getting-started-with-website...

Let me know if you run into any specific problems down the line.

-Lauren, Farmer Support

10. Lauren closed this discussion on 24 Jan, 2013 02:51 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac