hyperlinks not working in outgoing mailings

's Avatar

susan_chien

03 Feb, 2014 05:16 PM

Hi folks at SFC,

So I sent out an email over the weekend to customers that had links to a couple of PDF's that I had uploaded into SFC. Unfortunately, I have received several complaints that the links do not work. When I double-checked, I realized that I could only load up the PDF's if I copy and pasted the link into my web browser - but it was not "clickable".. I had also embedded the hyperlink into the emails, and those links didn't work at all. Has something changed with the new interface that is causing a problem? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!
Sue Chien
Pat's Pastured
401-935-9585

1. 1 Posted by Mike on 03 Feb, 2014 05:35 PM

Hi Sue,

This is a puzzler. I can see your email you just sent out and how there is a link embedded for your Summer CSA that wouldn't work if clicked from an email. But I'm able to embed links using the link tool on your email draft tool and they look fine. Can you help me try to get to the bottom of this by answering some more detailed questions, please?

1. When did you compose the email?
    2. What browser were you using?
    3. Did you use the link tool and then chose your file from the pull-down list labeled Link List?
    4. When had you uploaded that pdf file? The same day as you created the email?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Mike closed this discussion on 03 Feb, 2014 05:35 PM.

3. Sue at Pat's Pastured re-opened this discussion on 03 Feb, 2014 05:58 PM

4. 2 Posted by Sue at Pat's Pa... on 03 Feb, 2014 05:58 PM

1.  I composed the email very late Friday night and then I re-sent it on Saturday morning when I started hearing complaints of the links.  The Friday night email were supposed to have "clickable" links of the website address that would lead to the PDF's.  I was tired and didn't think to embed them that night.  Then on Saturday, I put in both the clickable website address and also tried the embedding the link using the link tool.  When I tested it, I nothing happened when I clicked either the website address or the embedded link, but I could copy and paste the website address and get the pdf to show up.  So I've been telling folks just to copy and paste the website address into their browser.  I haven't heard it that is working for others yet.

2.  I was using Internet Explorer

3.  I had copied the link web address for the files after uploading them (friday night) and then pasting them into to email (also Friday night and then again on Saturday morning).  Then I clicked the link tool and put in the pasted the same link address to provide an embedded link (this part on Saturday morning).

Does that help?

Sue

5. 3 Posted by Mike on 03 Feb, 2014 06:25 PM

Hi Sue,

Yes that helped, thank you. I believe we have found the bug and fixed it. It was very strange. It was only happening in Internet Explorer and only for doing links to uploaded files. For some reason, IE was stripping the website part of the URL in the link.

I'm sorry that your customers were inconvenienced but you should be good going forward.

Mike

6. Mike closed this discussion on 03 Feb, 2014 06:25 PM.

7. Sue at Pat's Pastured re-opened this discussion on 03 Feb, 2014 06:33 PM

8. 4 Posted by Sue at Pat's Pa... on 03 Feb, 2014 06:33 PM

Thanks, one more question...

Do I have to re-do the links and resend the emails for it to work now?

9. 5 Posted by Mike on 03 Feb, 2014 07:03 PM

Hi Sue,
    Yes, you'd have to redo the links. The links in the previous email won't ever work as they are embedded in with the wrong address.
    Sorry,
    Mike

10. Mike closed this discussion on 03 Feb, 2014 07:03 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac