Ordered From user groups being randomly created

Louise

16 Dec, 2013 02:37 PM

Hello,

I cannot figure out why, when people order off of our online store (the 'sell' category) for products, they automatically get added to these user groups that have been generated, I guess automatically, that say things like "ordered from beef" and "ordered from vegetables" respective to what the user has ordered off the store. Does anyone know how I can make them stop getting generated? Is there some sort of setting on the store or user group function that is causing this? This only started happening about a month ago and the function is completely useless to me and is just causing lots of user groups to be created that I do not want!

1. 1 Posted by Lauren on 16 Dec, 2013 03:04 PM

Hi Louise,

Yes, this is a new feature we created at the end of November at the request of other farmers. It allows you to easily email a group of people who order from a certain department of your store. This is helpful for people who want to let their customers know when certain items are back in stock, new items are offered, or to send any other information that that group of people would be interested in.

If you don't need these groups, and don't want to see them in your list of User Groups, it is best to just archive them. If they are deleted, they will just get re-created when the next person orders from that dept, but this will not happen if they are archived.

Let me know if you have any additional questions about this.

Best,
    -Lauren, Farmer Support

2. Lauren closed this discussion on 16 Dec, 2013 03:04 PM.

3. Gregg & Louise Keckler re-opened this discussion on 16 Dec, 2013 03:23 PM

4. 2 Posted by Gregg & Louise ... on 16 Dec, 2013 03:23 PM

Thanks for the info Lauren, but just to confirm, there is no way that I can get those user groups to stop creating? Our business model and store process renders them completely useless and they clog up my already-very-long list of user groups...even if I archive them, they still appear on my list and I still have to scroll through them. There's no way to hide them/make them stop being generated?

Louise

5. 3 Posted by Lauren on 16 Dec, 2013 03:46 PM

Hi Lousie,

Currently there is no way to turn this feature off. Just to confirm, you are only seeing these User Groups listed in your "Manage User Groups" page (Administrate > Users > Manage Groups), correct? If you archive a group it shouldn't be appearing as an option when you doing things like sending an email or choosing which groups have access to a certain department of your store, or using other features. If your archived groups are still showing up in these areas, please let us know.

Since we always like to know how people are using the software, we are curious as to how you use this Manage Groups page. We don't see this as a highly used page by our other farmers, so we were wondering if it was a page that you visit often, since you mentioned having to scroll through all the groups that have been created.

Best,
    -Lauren, Farmer Support

6. Lauren closed this discussion on 16 Dec, 2013 03:46 PM.

7. Gregg & Louise Keckler re-opened this discussion on 16 Dec, 2013 04:13 PM

8. 4 Posted by Gregg & Louise ... on 16 Dec, 2013 04:13 PM

I find myself using the page more often at the turn of a season- from one year to the next. So like, right now as I am going through and modifying things for the 2014 Member Assembler season. When I create a new CSA season, I choose the option for the user groups for the pickups to be automatically generated for the new season (copied from the current season). Some of these groups I will no longer need since the pickups are changed, but it's easier for me to have them all automatically copied and then go through the Manage User Groups page and edit them according to the new season requirements.

I also find the "Ordered From" groups annoying since they show up on the "Groups" category for all of the users, which makes it difficult to figure out which group a user is in since it's clogged by 5 other "ordered from" groups that are completely irrelevant to the pickup location and user group of the user. Is there some way you can make the Archived groups NOT show up on the users page under the "Groups" category?

9. 5 Posted by Lauren on 17 Dec, 2013 04:08 PM

Hi Louise,

Thanks for the insight as to how you are using your tools. You shouldn't have to adjust the User groups, only the Pickup locations (Member Assembler > Configure > Pickups) when you make a new Season. Perhaps what you are doing is using the Regular email tool instead of the Member Assembler email tool to send correspondence to your Members during the Season. If you use the Member Assembler mailing tool you can choose which Members receive your email by choosing the pickup location they are assigned to. Then, you won't have to mess around with the User Groups that are created for the pickup locations at all. (Find that tool here: Member Assembler > Members > Send email or click on the link at the top of the page when you go to Connect > Mailing List > Send Mail). The other thing to keep in mind is that if you change the name of a pickup location in Member Assembler > Configure > Pickups, it will change the name of that User Group, so you don't have to go in and change it manually.

I do see what you mean about archived groups still showing up in the User spreadsheet in the Groups column. However, they do not show up in the list of groups that your Users are joined to when you look at each individual User profile. I will bring this to the attention to the rest of the team so that they can look into it. It seems that if a group is archived it should also be removed from the Groups column in that spreadsheet.

I'll be in touch about this, thanks for pointing it out.

Best,
    -Lauren, Farmer Support

10. qroth closed this discussion on 10 Jan, 2014 04:22 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac