Same user multiple accounts

's Avatar

austinorch

15 May, 2019 05:14 PM

I have several instances in the system where one user has multiple accounts. In some cases there were name changes, and instead of editing the current membership, they just started a new one. In other cases, members didn't use the "Returning Member" option and instead started again every time they come back. It makes using the "Member Search" field very difficult as all the names pop up but there's no way to know which one is the actual active account so there is a lot of clicking back and forth.

My question is whether those accounts can be merged under their current account, or should I just delete the inactive accounts and will that affect how statistical information is gathered. Or, if I create a user group for just the inactive accounts, do those names pop up in the member search field?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by qroth on 15 May, 2019 06:06 PM

If someone signs up or makes a purchase with a different email than they are already in the system with, it will create a new user. There isn't a way to merge these users.

You theoretically could delete the old memberships but that would mean losing any related member data (history of share types, payments, etc). Not sure how much that matters to you. Also, deleting the membership would not delete the associated user data, so you would need to delete that separately.

That would be done by going to - Administrate --> Users --> Manage Users. It won't let you delete someone though if they are still attached to a membership, so you would need to delete the membership first.

Q

2. qroth closed this discussion on 15 May, 2019 06:06 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac