Optional member types

's Avatar

farmer

25 Jul, 2017 12:13 AM

If we have 6 member types: Spring, Summer, and Fall Veg and Spring, Summer and Fall egg shares, and I want to make it so you have to buy the corresponding veg share to buy an egg share, how would I set that up? This year, we made them ALL optional, but I've had people buy egg shares and not veg shares. I'd like that to not happen next year. For now, we've disabled spring and summer and made the fall egg share optional and fall veg share NOT optional, so I'm okay for this year. I suppose one option is to only offer signup for one season at a time, but that's not ideal. If I make all the egg shares optional and all the veg shares not optional, a person would have to sign up for spring, summer AND fall, wouldn't they? Also not ideal. Any ideas?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by qroth on 25 Jul, 2017 02:06 PM

Hi - based on your message I think you have a good sense of your options. Unfortunately there isn't a way to force combinations of share types.

One thing you can do is add a statement in the name and/or description of the egg shares to clarify they are only available in combination with the appropriate vegetable share. So something like "Summer Egg Share (only available if purchasing Summer Vegetable Share)" This won't prevent someone from just choosing one of these options but it at least provides a visual deterrent.

The only surefire way to prevent those type of signups would be to create the separate shares in the separate seasons as you mention, but ultimately I think that creates more of a barrier to getting people to sign up for multiple seasons and could hurt your retention. I think maintaining a single season and doing what you can through the use of messaging to discourage people from just signing up for eggs is the way to go.

Q Roth
    Farmer Support

2. qroth closed this discussion on 25 Jul, 2017 02:06 PM.

3. farmer re-opened this discussion on 25 Jul, 2017 06:51 PM

4. 2 Posted by farmer on 25 Jul, 2017 06:51 PM

Thanks for confirming that I had thought through my options correctly. Another idea came to me: set up the egg shares in the e-commerce area and restrict it to group access. It would require an additional step for people to sign up, though. OOH! NEW IDEA! Only slightly more complicated, but would prevent egg-only shares: Create a member type option for each member type like this: Large vegetable share WITH eggs, Large veg share WITHOUT eggs.
    Too bad I already have a job, you all should hire me. ;)

Just kidding--you guys are awesome. Thanks!
    --------- Original Message --------- Subject: Re: Optional member types [Member Assembler #3961]

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by qroth on 25 Jul, 2017 07:24 PM

Yes, you could do that "Large Summer Veggie share with eggs" and "Large Summer Veggie share without eggs" and the same options for medium and small. That could actually work out pretty well.

Q

6. qroth closed this discussion on 25 Jul, 2017 07:24 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac